Data Protection Statement
This statement confirms Brighton & Hove Business Crime Reduction Partnership’s commitment to protect your privacy and to process your personal information in a manner which meets the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 (‘the Act’).
Who we are and what we do
- Brighton & Hove Business Crime Reduction Partnership (BCRP) is a not-for-profit membership organisation established to assist member businesses to respond in an organised manner to crime that affects their businesses, profitability, staff, customers and the local economy. By working together and sharing information about crime and those committing it under a strict data integrity agreement, the partnership provides greater protection for its members and the local business community..
- Business crime is identified by the National Police Chiefs’ Council as “any criminal offence that is committed against a person or property which is associated by the connection of that person or property to a business”.
- The partnership is registered with the information commissioner for the purpose of ‘the prevention and detection of crime and the prosecution of offenders’.
What personal information we may process
The information we collect may include:
- Names, addresses, occupations, descriptions, aliases, associates, vehicles and convictions.
- Contact information
- Occupation and company details
We may use this information for the following reasons:
- the prevention and detection of crime and the prosecution of offenders who are, or are suspected of being involved in business crime, where that crime, anti-social behaviour or other criminal activity impacts upon our members or the business community.
- To manage membership and payment details.
- To send you information which we think may be of value or interest or to improve our member services
- We may monitor or record any communication between you and Brighton & Hove BCRP for quality control and training purposes.
How we may use this information operationally
- We analyse data to determine whether it could be used to detect, prevent or reduce crimes committed in our area of operation. Where this data is assessed as being relevant to our purpose as defined above we may make it available to our members through secure electronic or other means.
- Where there is evidence that offenders are operating over a wider region, we may share that information with other BCRPs and/or police forces.
- We may communicate data to the police or other public agencies where it is relevant to do so for the purposes of the prevention and detection of crime and the prosecution of offenders, or for other reasons relating to the public objectives of those organisations.
- Where a person has been notified that they have been excluded from the premises of our members for criminal or anti-social behaviour, we will endeavour to serve a copy of the notice on the excluded individual personally or by post. There are strict internal protocols which must be followed to issue an exclusion notice to an offender and an appeal process.
- We will only communicate information from members, victims or witnesses to third parties with their prior agreement.
- Brighton & Hove BCRP has appropriate technical and organisational measures in place to prevent the unauthorised or unlawful processing of your personal information, and accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, your personal information.
- Retention of personal information
We will not keep your personal information for longer than is necessary for the purposes outlined above.
Your rights to access your personal information:
You are entitled, pursuant to the Data Protectio Act, to ask for a copy of your personal information, for which we will charge a £10 fee, and to have any inaccuracies in your information corrected. Disclosure will only be permitted in accordance with theAct to persons who have provided identification.
- Where we hold data for which we are not the data controller, we will not release that data.
- Where data relates to other persons, we will not release that data unless an application is received from that person.
- We may not release data which we assess as confidential and which may either interfere with a criminal investigation or which may assist persons committing crime.
- Should you wish to access your information, or have any other enquiries about data protection, please go to the ‘Contact us’ page on the website.
Cookies are text files, which identify a user's computer to our server. Cookies in themselves do not identify the individual user, just the computer used.
Users may, of course, choose not to accept cookies from the Brighton & Hove BCRP website. This might mean that their browser will not remember that visitors have changed their preferred text size and/or Brighton & Hove BCRP members have logged in and they will therefore have to reselect their preferred text size and/or log in to have access to the Members Only pages on every visit to the Brighton & Hove BCRP website. Further information about cookies can be found at: www.aboutcookies.org(link is external)
Links to other websites
There are hyperlinks within this website which will take you away from the Brighton & Hove BCRP website. The linked sites are not under the control of Brighton & Hove BCRP and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site, or any changes or updates to such sites. Brighton & Hove BCRP is providing these links to you only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by Brighton & Hove BCRP of these sites.
The Brighton & Hove BCRP seeks to ensure that all information on this website is accurate However, Brighton & Hove BCRP and its employees and officers cannot accept any responsibility or liability for any claim, loss or damage whatsoever from the use of any information within, or accessed through, this website.